Motorhome fire

On June 3, 2014 at 8:16 p.m., Crawford County dispatch was notified by Pittsburg Police of an explosion and fire at 1282 S. 220 Street south of Pittsburg.  

A neighbor advised deputies that Mark McAtee, 26 of rural Girard, came to the door needing assistance.  McAtee was suffering from burns to his hands, legs and face after a propane tank on a motorhome exploded.  McAtee reported to deputies that he had lit a stove in the motorhome when the explosion occurred.  McAtee was transported to Via Christi Medical Center then later to the KU Medical Center Burn Unit.

An investigation by fire officials indicates the explosion was accidental.

Responding to the call were units from Baker Fire Department and Crawford County EMS.

The 1987 Toyota motorhome is registered to Sherry Lynn Dodd of Joplin, MO.

This incident remains under investigation.